Welcome to The Lion Hotel
The Lion Hotel in Brewood offers customers a real taste of Staffordshire. Our pub gives the warmest of welcomes, while our fine dining restaurant gives diners an opportunity to taste the rich pickings of our locally sourced fresh seasonal produce. A sample of our menu can be found on ‘The Restaurant’ page on our website.
Stay a while in one of our 11 ensuite bedrooms, complete with wi-fi internet connection and FreeView television.
Please check our website as it is updated with news of special events, offers, photos and menus.
A brief history of The Lion Hotel
The Lion Hotel, built in the 18th century, was originally two establishments, namely The Giffard Arms and The Red Lion. They continued to have two different proprietors until 1850, when The Giffard Arms and The Red Lion was under a single proprietor and was presumably combined into one establishment. The name seems to have been shortened to The Lion by 1867.
It was in The Red Lion that the Hon. John Byng was "put into a white-washed room, and got a miserable, neither hot - nor cold dinner" in 1792.
The Giffard Arms was used as a magistrates court and the Magistrates and prisoners would enter by the now blocked off door on the far right of the building.
In 1870 and for many years there were many different licensees for The Lion, including E. Bagnall and A. Bourne, and in 1937 the licensee was a Mrs Anne Ball. The combined premises subsequently had a spell as a "posh" Three Star Hotel (AA & RAC).
A magnificent staircase was removed from the interior of The Giffard Arms in 1970.
At present, The Lion Hotel is a Grade 11 listed building.
The Lion Hotel
Tel: 01902 850 123